Friday, June 6, 2014

Feelin' artsy...

I was looking through my phone and realized
that I never shared this really cool art my 
sweet friend Ashley treated us to as one of 
our Bridesmaids gifts back in December! It's
called Encaustic Art! Have you heard of it?

Wikipedia offers this definition:
Encaustic painting, also known as hot wax painting, involves using heated beeswax to which colored pigments are added. The liquid or paste is then applied to a surface—usually prepared wood, though canvas and other materials are often used. 
Metal tools and special brushes can be used to shape the paint before it cools, or heated metal tools can be used to manipulate the wax once it has cooled onto the surface. Today, tools such as heat lamps, heat guns, and other methods of applying heat allow artists to extend the amount of time they have to work with the material. Because wax is used as the pigment binder, encaustics can be sculpted as well as painted. Other materials can be encased or collaged into the surface, or layered, using the encaustic medium to stick them to the surface.
That's a perfect definition. Basically you make a big
 mess with colored beeswax. It was seriously one 
of the funnest things I have ever done! We started
 with small pieces of wood and a large tub of random 
things we could use to make ours interesting and
 different! 









▼ Here's what I ended up with! I could
have kept adding things, melting and changing
small things for days. With this type of art, I
 guess at some point you just have to stop. 
I decided to add a girl to each of mine to
make it look like a set. 




 I love them! 
(Sorry about my extra warm lighting in my kitchen!)
If you ever get a chance to try encaustic art,
definitely do! It's so fun!

Happy Friday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment